Skip to main content

pretending to be British

Eversince I saw that episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S wherein Ross smashed that piece of scone in his fury over his ex-wife Emily, I was intrigued. As I have written before I like having tea and what better way to enjoy an afternoon cuppa tea than with dainty baked British pastry to go with it. I love Harry Potter, I love their accent and though it is on a completely unrelated level, sometimes I just like to pretend I am having afternoon tea under the sun in a frilly girly dress, sipping tea from a dainty fine cup with my pinky sticking up.


Chocolate Chip Scones

ingredients:
-2 cups white all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk 
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or morsels

how to:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar
- cut the butter into the flour mixture with a fork or pastry cutter.
-  In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg then add the vanilla and milk.
-  Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix well then add in the chocolate chips. Form a ball.
-  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and shape the ball of dough in a circle onto the baking sheet.  Flatten with hands then use a pizza cutter to slice into 8 triangular pieces. Separate them using a spatula. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
 I didn't have vanilla extract so I used strawberry essence instead, not much different in taste but you get a slight hint of strawberry scent - strawberry and chocolate? works for me!


all mixed up


 why stop at simple scones when you can bring it up a notch and make it fancier by drizzling it with melted chocolate and sugar glaze


yum-mmy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pudding new life to stale bread!

In this time where there can be shortage of food supplies, we can not afford for anything to go to waste - which is the norm in our household in any case. Today while checking out our ref I found 2 left over buns from last week's lunch. They were stale and hard but do not have any molds - I did not want to throw them out so I rummaged through the pantry for any other leftover stuff I could use to make bread pudding. I found a couple of merengue - I did not know of any recipe for bread pudding using merengue but what the heck, I will just throw it in there too instead of throwing it out... There was also a bit of pink sugar left from a previous baking project... I have some milk, eggs, a packet of raisin and nuts... PERFECT! lets make bread pudding shall we? Bread Pudding Ingredients: - about 2 cups left over bread - 1 cup milk - 1 egg - sugar to taste - toppings of choice (nuts, dried fruits, chocolate etc.) How to: - cut the bread into small pieces- in a ...

caramel apples!!!

... I grew up in a country where Halloween isn't really celebrated with all the hoopla of jack-o-laterns, halloween parties and trick or treating... the highlight of my childhood halloween was a contest amongst us kids on who can make the biggest ball of wax from candle drippings and the occasional scary story... ...  6 Granny Smith apples 6 wooden sticks 1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped 2 tablespoons water 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse sea salt 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

The most egg-cellent sandwich ever!

Simple ingredients does not mean boring sandwiches! Japanese Egg Sandwich Ingredients: - 3 soft boiled eggs, peeled - 1 1/2 tbsp. mayonnaise - 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard - 2 sliced sandwich bread - 1 cup shredded cabbage (wilted with a pinch of salt) *** optional - salt and pepper to taste how to: - chop 1 egg and combine with mayo, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl - spread over a bread slice, top with the remaining 2 whole egg - top with wilted cabbage - cover with remaining bread slice pressing slightly to hold the shape. - slice and serve